Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Send Me, I'll Go...


People in Kibera are thirsty for God’s Word and I mean it! The best part is that their thirst for the Word is contagious and sincere! I recall one night part of our group went to a local Bible college, where our leader taught a lesson to the local pastors. At the end of the session questions poured non stop as pastors were thirsty for the truth. It made me stop for a second and think about my walk with the Lord. Am I fed or thirsty? Is reading my Bible for 5 minutes a day enough to know my God? I knew the answer to my questions. In order for me to really know my God I have to spend more than 5 minutes with Him and thirst the truth just like local Kenyans.

Our Q&A session came to an end as it was getting dark outside. We were advised to not go back to the house through the “heart” of Kibera for safety reasons. Instead we walked on the outskirt of the slum and let me just tell you I was scared. Night life in Kibera slum is not quite. The presence of evil was so real that many times I closed my eyes and held the hand of my teammate as we walked in line back to the house. Reciting scripture and singing Christian songs out loud calmed our fears. Isaiah 41:10 says, 'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand

When we arrived to the house we enjoyed dinner, fellowship with our team and finally it was bed time. Every day when it was time to go to bed, I felt exhausted. In part I felt tired was because we didn’t eat nutritious meals, however it allowed me to have a glimpse of hunger that children in Africa experience daily. Another reason is that we stayed busy from the time we woke up until bed time ministering to local people. The Word of God says in 1 Peter 3:15, “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” I learned in Kenya that I am a missionary 24/7 no matter how tired or cranky I may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment