Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lead Me to the Cross



During the summer break from college Daniel (my now husband) and I along with our friends went on a double date. We had a great time playing putt-putt and before you know it was dinner time. We were seated by our host and while looking through the menu we were enjoying each other’s company. Before you know Daniel was trying to get my attention. He told me to look to my left, where a young mother with a child was seating. What was so unusual about this situation was that the young mother was crying, while eating her dinner. Daniel asked me to go and speak to her. “No Way Jose” was I going to speak to the stranger and put my nose in her business.

The easiest thing for me was to just ignore this stranger but my sweet Daniel would not let me. Time and time again he would encourage me to speak to her. Well in return I also encouraged Daniel to go and speak to this woman, since obviously the Holy Spirit was speaking to him and not me. But before you know the Holy Spirit began to work on my heart pressing hard to go and speak to the stranger. You see, God knows how stubborn I am and He used Daniel to audibly convey His message as the Holy Spirit was working on my heart.

Listening to the message was easy but acting upon it was much harder. I love what James 1:22 says, “But be doers of the Word and not hearers only.” At times it is so easy to talk the talk but hard to walk the walk. In this particular situation I was overwhelmed by fear of what this young mother would think of me. By the way, 2 Tim 1:7 says, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” As I was looking at the table across from us I felt a knot in my stomach and my knees felt weak. I was no longer interested in the conversation that we were having at the table. Instead I was still battling with God letting Him know all the reasons for why I am not equipped for this job (I do that quite often). In that moment I was doing the same thing what Moses did when God chose Him to accomplish a task (a pretty big one at that). I was the queen of excuses. But you know what, just as God promised Moses that He would be with him (Ex 3:12 “Surely I will be with you”) that promise was extended to me too. God’s Word is true today as it was true thousands of years ago.

Even though quite a few years passed since that day the picture in my mind of that evening is so fresh as if it happened yesterday. As I was trying to give all the excuses in the world to not take up the opportunity to speak to the stranger, I noticed that a waitress from a different section of the restaurant came up to the young mother and started to speak to her. At that moment I felt like I just failed the mission. Also at that moment I knew that God really doesn’t have to have me to accomplish His will. It will be done one way or the other, but He chose me (big time sinner) to minister to this broken mother. I failed His mission but as I mentioned God’s will be done and He chose a waitress from a different section of the restaurant to minister to the young mother. And what an honor it is to be used by God!!!! Let me say it again…what an honor it is to be used by God. Even though I failed (happens quiet often…well every day to be exact) I am glad that God is a God of second chances. He forgives and forgets.

The second chance was extended to me that day. As the waitress left this young mother, I was still debating if I should go and speak. Before you know this young mother finished her dinner, got up and left. Well, I told God that next time I will definitely not miss out on an opportunity if He asks me to do something. And guess what happened next? I see this young mother walking back to her table, because she forgot her left over food in the boxes. And guess what I did? I chickened out again. That night when Daniel was taking me home I cried and cried and cried. I couldn’t help but wonder “what if…”? What if I only obeyed what God called me to do? What is this young mother needed a word of encouragement? What if she needed to know that God loves her? Even though several years have passed I have not forgotten that day. I still wonder “what if…”? So my friends, next time the Lord asks you to do something, don’t tell him No. He may have a task for you that is completely out of your comfort zone, but trust that He will be with you as you are accomplishing it. If He is asking you to do something, He has already equipped you to do it. Isn’t it cool?! You have all the tools to do the job, you just have to trust and act upon the call. And let me tell you something, my friend, God will bless you beyond your imagination for answering the call, but the best part is that He can will use you to be a blessing to someone else. Is God asking you to do something today?



TO BE CONTINUED….

No comments:

Post a Comment