Monday, May 17, 2010

Send Me, I'll Go...


Before going to Kenya I had high expectations of watching people coming by hundreds to know the Lord. I thought that we would see healing right and left but most of all I thought that God was going to use my big mouth to share the Gospel with others. Just to give you heads up, God has taught me lots of lessons about my expectations. My prayer prior to the trip is that God would allow me to touch the untouchable and love the unlovable and I can’t wait to share with you how God was faithful in answering my prayer.

I knew that others were praying for me too, especially my soon to be husband. The day came when Daniel took me to Atlanta airport where I met up with my teammates. It was hard to tell my future husband good bye, but I knew that two weeks after the mission trip we would spend the rest of our lives together. Once all the group members arrived we departed to a camp for one week, where we would be preparing for what God had in store for us in Kenya. During the week of training we bonded as a team praying for each other and encouraging each other on during the team building activities. We were told that during the next 4 weeks, we are going to become best friends with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When God spoke to me on my way to work and I complained about eating goat meat, He faithfully provided peanut butter sandwiches in its place. And trust me, they weren’t kidding when they said that peanut butter would be our lunch every day. Oh, and by the way, we were also informed that showers would be a luxury. If fact, during the 4 weeks trip, I only took about 5 cold showers. Baby wipes and I became very close! Moving on with the story, at night our team would worship together as God’s presence would fill the room. Matt 18:20 says, “For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." That week on several occasions the Lord revealed to me that He not always going to use my words as a witnessing tool, in fact He showed me that my actions speak louder than words.

The Lord continued to speak to me when we were all gathered together to be commission and prayed over before leaving for Kenya. As I waited for my turn to be prayed over, God brought to my attention that I am safe in His arms. About 6 months before the trip, I was shopping at Wal-Mart. On my way out some kind of organization was doing a fund raiser so I bought a key chain for $10 dollars. The key chain was supposed to serve as a protective tool, in that if someone was to attack me, I press the button and the loud siren noise would scare them away. When I came home, I put the key chain in the drawer and forgot about it until I was packing for Kenya. I decided to take the key chain with me; just in case someone was going to kidnap me (I have a wild imagination). As I removed a piece of paper that was going to activate the alarm, I found out that my key chain likes silence rather than a loud noise. I was so disappointed that I wasted $10 on a key chain that doesn’t work, so I tossed it in a trash can.

Back to the commissioning prayer time. As I was standing the Lord started to speak to my heart. He reminded me that the key chain did not go off not because it was broken, but because God wanted me to fully trust Him in protecting me. Isn’t our God awesome?! Yes, He is!!! Psalm 121:3-8 says, “The Lord will not let your foot slip – He who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watcher over you – the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm – He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over our coming and going both now and forevermore”.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment