Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Grocery Challenge

One of our biggest expenses this year is our trip to Belarus that we are planning to take at Christmas time (if all my documents are in place). I haven’t seen most of my family in Belarus for over 10 years, so you can only imagine how bad I want to go home to visit. This means that we need to save every penny for the trip and the easiest way to do it is to spend less. The month of April for some reason was not a very good month for us in the aspect of savings. So I made the executive decision to increase our savings during the month of May. As I debated how we are going to increase our savings, the only thing that I came up with was to cut our grocery budget in half. Most weeks we spend approximately $50 on groceries, so for the month of May we will be spending $25 dollars a week. This will allow us to put extra $100 dollars in savings.

I withdrew $100 dollars grocery allowance from the bank and will make it last us all months long. I am so excited because I won’t be able to cheat, since I will have you keeping me accountable (please, please, please…I need your help and encouragement). Because our kitchen shelves our stuffed with food, I will have to use my creativity in preparing lunches and dinners based on the food that we have (this will be a challenge). Each week I will update you on my progress so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! It can be done! You might check out hillbilly housewife's emergency menu plan. :)

    ReplyDelete