Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Send Me, I'll Go...



Never in a million years was I expecting that God one day would place such heavy burden on my heart for people in African countries. In fact, if you were to tell me during my freshman year of college that I would be going to Kenya in several years, I would have probably laughed at you and said “No, thank you!” I was set in ways of what I was going to do after graduation and going to Africa was not part of my plan. After graduation I was going to move to New York City, become a CEO, wear business clothes, high heels (I hate heels) and drink Starbucks on my way to work. Since I do not like the taste of coffee, I was going to work on my last part of the plan and learn how to enjoy drinking coffee. Today, I am so happy to report to you that I do not live in New York City; I am not a CEO who has to wear business clothes and hurt my feet with high heels. Most importantly I do not have to force myself to learn how to enjoy coffee. My plan was pitiful compared to what God had in store for me. During my four years of college God had reshaped and remolded me and my desires all while showing me glimpses of what He had planned for my future. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”.

God began to reveal His plan to me during my sophomore year at USC. I started to pray asking God to use me. In my mind I thought that perhaps He can use my time or my talents; however God’s plan was once again totally different from mine. During a Christian concert one evening, a performer started to talk about World Vision encouraging the crowd to sponsor a child from a developing country. All of a sudden my heart began to race 100 beats per second and I knew that God was calling me to sign up to sponsor a child. Nevertheless my excuses began as I told the Lord that I did not ask Him to use me financially. I then explained to God that I was a college student living on a tight budget as if He did not know that. Giving money every month was not what I meant when I prayed and asked for Him to use me. But the Lord continued to press upon my heart to go and pick out a child to sponsor.

As I turned around, I told my friend that God was calling me to sponsor a child. My friend and I made our way through the crowd and came to the table that displayed pictures of children from different countries. I randomly selected a picture just to learn that my little boy was from Mozambique, Africa. Isn’t it amazing how God works? I could have picked a child from Russia or China, but God has strategically placed a child from Africa to begin His work of molding me and preparing me for what was to come. I love what Isaiah 64:8 say, “Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all work of Your hand”. God (the potter) has taken me (the clay) in His hands as He bended, twisted and shaped me to become a beautiful pottery to be used for His purpose in Africa. I must confess until I fully submitted to God’s control, there were a few bumps during the molding process, yet God never gave up on me! He took my once selfish desires and replaced them with compassion towards people in Africa for which I will be forever grateful.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment