Thursday, September 9, 2010

Frugal Reads

When I have a free moment (which doesn’t happen too often) I enjoy reading. At night I read the Bible and was beyond blessed when God spoke to me through the book of Job (I will share with you about my experience in weeks to come). In between studying for classes, I like to read books and articles about living frugal. I know you must be shocked?!  So this is what I have on my to read list as soon as I am done with school in October.

- The Complete Tightwad Gazette. I started to read this book two years ago and am determined to finish it by Dec. 31st.

- Back to Basics: Traditional Kitchen Wisdom

- Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I have ordered these books through Wal-Mart, which had the best deal, and can’t wait to read them upon my return from Spain. I will try making homemade crusty bread and share my journey with you. Thus far my attempt of making homemade bread has been unsuccessful.

- The Farm to Table Cookbook

- Green Home Improvement

- Country Wisdom & Know-How

- Thriving During Challenging Times

- The Encyclopedia of Country Living

- One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, The Twelve Steps for Christians and Let Go and Let God. A precious friend of mine, whom I have never met face to face, has sent me these books to help me understand my daddy’s battle with drinking.

I am also fascinated with Amish communities and if I could, I would love to live with Amish family for 1 month and learn new cooking and homesteading techniques. It would be a dream come true to follow their daily schedule of farming and cooking. I realize it is hard work, but I believe I would find it very fulfilling. Note to myself…find books about Amish living. In a mean time since I can not stop working for 1 month for fulfill my dream, plus I do not think my husband would like the idea of living without me that long, I must find something else to do. In fact, an older couple from church owns a dairy farm and I have asked them if I can come one day after I am done with school to help them with their cows. With a big smile and a facial expression, “You have no idea what you are signing up for”, they graciously agreed for me to help them feed baby cows in the fall. I will make sure to document my farming experience.

In a mean time I would love to hear from you. What books are you currently reading? If you have any suggestions on how to acquire the books for very little out of pocket cost, I would be forever grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like excellent fall reading! You should review each one on here, so I know what to prioritize. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...I have been reading your blog for some time now and I really enjoy it. I just had to comment because I live in an Amish community and have for all my life...they have been my neighbors and friends...If you are interested in reading about them there are nonfiction christian romance books out there by Wanda Brunstetter which are great reading books and she herself was once Amish so she knows what she is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I am going to change that a little :) All her books are not romance type books either they are about the challenges her amish girl characters face in their daily lives with everything. I hope this helps a little. Amish are very interesting although surprisingly enough alot like you and I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing pics of you feeding cows! :)

    ReplyDelete