Sunday, August 29, 2010

Lead Me to the Cross





I am beautiful! Why would I say that?! Well, because the God that I serve is beautiful, and His beauty is hard to miss. All it takes is for me to look around at His creation and I stand in awe at the works of His hands. Now, God’s Word says in that I was created in His image (Gen 1:27) and since I find God beautiful…that makes me beautiful too. By the way, you are drop dead gorgeous, since you were created in His image too!

Sure, I can look in the mirror and find a million things that I would like to change about my outer appearance. If only I had a flatter stomach, my garnet shirt would look so much better on me. Or if only I had silky straight hair, I wouldn’t then have to worry about my fuzzy uncontrollable hair during the rainy days. Or if only … and the list continues. My outer appearance is not of an importance to God.

To be accepted by God I do not have to spend hundreds of dollars on hair products or do crunches in vain. He loves me just the way I am, because He carefully crafted me. And I find it amazing that He knew me before I was born. Jer 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.”

Knowing that my body is just a temporary dwelling place, I find that the real beauty lies within me. Proverbs 31:30 gently reminds us that “Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing.” I can spend 5 hours in front of the mirror applying the most expensive makeup, hiding pimples, blemishes and wrinkles just to know that when I wash my face all the imperfections will still be there. In the same way, as a Christian I can spend hours, days or years covering my sin. I can fool you, but I can not fool God. He knows my heart and my imperfections!!! In His Word God clearly underlines that the state of one’s heart is of greater importance to Him. 1 Samuel 16:7 says, “Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart”.

When God is looking at my heart, I want Him to be pleased. I do admit that I am a sinner, who falls short of God’s glory. However, I find comfort in knowing that when God looks at me He sees beauty, because I was created in His image.

1 comment:

  1. love this post.. its so true. its not the looks but the heart that matters. Thanks for sharing this powerful post.

    ReplyDelete