Saturday, April 3, 2010




LEAD ME TO THE CROSS

As a college student I had a pretty boring ride home, when I visited my family on weekends. The reason my drive was boring is because the road that I had to take was straight with very few turns and was not very picturesque. My life journey however is full of straight roads and curvy roads with yield, stop, do not enter and detour signs just to name a few. I have been going down the straight lane for a few months now but today I stumbled upon a stop sign that was hard not to notice.

My stop sign was a size of a giant and I wondered which way I would have to turn once I press the gas pedal. Since I have become an American citizen a few weeks ago, I knew that my trip to Belarus to see my family would be right around the corner. I had every step of the way mapped out up until the day that Daniel and I would board the plane. I figured my “road” to visit my home is going to be straight with no bumps. Today I called Belarussian embassy to verify all the documents that I would need in order to obtain a visa and was shocked to find out that because I was born in Belarus different rules apply to me than that of an American. To make a long story short it may take a long time to get all the documents that I need to visit my family. When I finally hung up the phone, I sat in disbelief for a few minutes until tears started to run down my face. Will I ever be able to go to Belarus to see my dad whom I haven’t seen in over 10 years? Will I ever be able to hug my grandmother and tell her that I love her again? Will I walk the streets of my hometown with my mom reminiscing my childhood? The answers to these questions were unknown to me.

I knew that God was the only One who had the answers to these questions. As I wiped my tears He gently reminded me that His Word in Isaiah 55:8 says, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways”. And His ways are so much better than mine at all times. He has never failed me and in fact allowed me on numerous occasions to watch Him opening doors in my life, when all the doors were shut very tight. I should take this time to seat back and watch God at work. I find comfort in knowing that “What is impossible with men is possible with God.” (Luke 18:27) Today I also saw yet another sign, a yield sign that required me fully to yield to God’s will in every aspect of the situation.

We are all faced with different situation in our daily lives. Some situations seem so big that we think no way can we ever overcome them, but know, my friend, that with God you can overcome anything. Some of us will see stop, turn around or take a right sign, but we will all be faced with the yield sign. No matter what you are dealing with, my friend, we must all yield to God’s will. Knowing that He has control over the situation has reminded me of a children’s song, “My God is so Big, so Strong and so Mighty, there is nothing my God can not do for you”. As I hum this children’s song, I am excited to see how God will open the door for me to see my family in Belarus in His time and according to His will.

photo credit: www.flickr.com/photos/noecarrillo/1364989499/

No comments:

Post a Comment