Thursday, June 10, 2010

Katletu



Katletu, which is similar to a hamburger only juicier, reminds me of my mama’s cooking. So I decided to share this wonderful recipe with you.

Since Daniel and I don’t really eat beef, I bought a pack of ground turkey for this recipe.

Place ground turkey or beef (one package) in a bowl.



Cut up an onion, add to the meat and mix it up with your hands. If you don’t like onions please don’t leave out this ingredient. I myself am not a very big fan of Mr. Onion, but in this recipe you can barely taste it. It is more for flavor purpose.

Add one egg and again mix all ingredients up with your hands.

Next add bread crumbs. If you don’t have bread crumbs, you can add pieces of regular bread. I didn’t use measuring cup to measure out the amount of crumbs for this recipe. Instead I used my judgment and kept adding crumbs to the mixture until I could form a patty.

I browned turkey/beef patties in a frying pan until golden brown on each side. However, I didn’t allow my meat to cook through.

A few years ago my mom brought me “ytyatnucy” which is a metal dish with a lid to cook meat in. If you don’t have this special dish, you can also use a regular ovenproof dish with a lid. I transported meat to the dish, covered it with the lid and baked turkey patties in the oven at 350F for 40-60 minutes.

Katletu turned out so juicy and delicious. That particular day we ate katletu with “Russian potatoes” and oven fried okra. Below is a beautiful picture. On a side note, I have to share something with you pertaining to me taking pictures.

One of the things I love about having a blog is that it allows my mom in Belarus view it. Since she can’t speak or read English she looks at the pictures that I post on the blog and then sends me an e-mail asking me what I write about. When I shared the pork chop recipe with you not too long ago, I received an e-mail the next day from my mom. She said, “I see you cooked “otbevnue” (pork chops) and took several pictures of your preparation. Next time you cook; please take the last picture of the cooked dish on a pretty plate. That would make the food look much more appealing.” I am taking my mama’s advice and from now on I vow to make my last picture of the cooked dish pretty!!!

3 comments:

  1. your katletu sure sounds delicious... thanks for sharing the recipe with us.... Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! My mom's meatloaf has almost the same ingredients as this, it is just baked all together in a loaf shape. I am going to have to try katletu-I think my kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! Thank you for sharing the katletu recipe. I'm going to give that a try because I'm sure it is as you say, the meat comes out so juicy and tender from being baked in the oven.

    I'm curious how you did your oven fried okra. Did you bread the okra first? Hubby planted some okra again this year. We didn't have much of a harvest last year but even if we had, the only way I would know to fix it is to deep fry it and that isn't exactly healthy.

    ReplyDelete