Monday, June 7, 2010

Finance, Fried Chicken and Tiramisu



I am tired…no I think I am exhausted. Do you have a moment to hear me out? I promise it will be short!

About a one year and 6 months ago I made a decision to go back to school for MBA (what was I thinking?!). I was so eager to start classes, write papers, and study for tests that driving 45 minutes one way to the university was not a big deal. Plus I would be taking one class at a time and will only have to go to school one day a week from 6 pm until 10 pm. In no time I realized that working full time, going to school full time and being a wife full time is a challenge.

This challenge finally got a hold of me. My loving husband listened to me complain day after day about the difficult finance class that I am taking and my lack of social life (I crave girl time). Every single weekend is occupied with either writing long papers or studying for a test. And after studying for 5 days straight about future values, present values and balance sheets, I was going crazy. My finance class is not over yet, but I already think about my next class, international business. It should be easy, considering I majored in international business undergrad. But I can picture that my weekends will be once again occupied with writing lengthy papers. The papers don’t scare me; I just want to spend time with my mom, when she visits instead of the book. Right about now I feel like quitting, but I can’t! In 5 more months I will be done with school…forever.

Just when I stop thinking about school, my mind switches gears and I start thinking about my parents. I keep pleading with God that He would allow for my dad to come with my mom next summer. However, my flesh questions if God would really open the door and will make it easy for my dad to obtain a visa. Is it normal to question God or does it show a lack of faith on my part? I keep reading a quote that a family member shared with me, “Faith doesn’t mean we will always feel the power of God in our lives. But faith does mean that we will somehow find strength – even in the midst of our greatest weaknesses – to shout, “Where are you God?” That cry to the heavens, even if it is seems to be made in moment of little faith, is actually a moment of great belief that God is present and listening.” I know that God is in control, but at times it is so hard to let go of it.

Oh, and while I am sharing a glimpse of my crazy and busy life…let me also tell you that when I am stressed I reach for sweets. Honey buns at work have become my new best friend, but my waistline’s worst enemy. I wonder why don’t I crave vegetables or fruits when I am stressed?! Well, and the answer to that is because they just don’t taste as good as a fat laden deliciously sugar spiking honey bun. Since my husband is out of town, I decided to call a local Italian restaurant to find out if they have Tiramisu, my new favorite dessert.

I was so thrilled to find out that after 5 o’clock I will be guiltlessly indulging in the heavenly cake, because I finally found a place that is not one hour away that serve my kind of dessert. To my surprise the cake was free!!! When I pulled out money to pay for the dessert, I was told that it was free because the side of the cake was touching the box. This means that the cake was not in the perfect condition to sell, so I should just take it and enjoy it. Trust me, I didn’t object to the offer and was very thankful for it.

After devouring the cake (I probably set the world record), I once again vowed that I will exercise regularly and eat sweets occasionally starting the next day. By the way, I also stopped by KFC for dinner, which makes me feel guilty right about now. Not only did I have sugar overload, but I also had grease overdose. At least I know that the walls of my arteries are well lubricated, right?! This time, I am serious about my promise of becoming a healthier eater. Will you keep me accountable? My mom is coming on June 26th and will be bringing me my absolute favorite dessert (we will try to make it also during her stay and I will share the recipe with you). For the next 3 weeks, I will do my best to exercise regularly and declare 3 weeks of no sweets holiday. If you need encouragement and accountability, please let us know…we would love to encourage you too.

Thank you for listening to my rambling.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new follower. I could totally use tips on saving and am always looking for them. Visiting from Meet and Greet Mondays-

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love reading your blog! I'm a new follower from meet and greet mondays!!!

    Have a great week! i look forward to your next post! I just started following by the way!

    vegastoeverafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i love your ramblings...:-) new follower from Monday Meet and Greet!!

    http://underneathhiswrapping.blogspot.com/
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a sweet transparent lady! I'd love to meet you face to face and talk and talk and talk!

    I will be adding your dad's visa to become a reality to my prayer list. I'm so glad that your mom is going to be with you soon. Our daughter lived in Mexico City for 12 years as a missionary. The longest we ever went without seeing one another was two years...so I understand a bit about how special your time with your mom is.

    And...no...I don't think it is wrong to question God about things. He's our Savior, yes...but He also is our teacher. When I taught school I loved it when my students were interested enough to ask questions. I know the Bible tells us that His thoughts and ways are above ours, but I don't think that changes the fact that He cares enough to answer our questions.

    Many hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete