Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lead Me to the Cross


In the fall I stay very busy by traveling mostly throughout the state of South Carolina sharing my testimony about the Operation Christmas Child. One particular weekend I was invited to speak in Georgia at 3 different events. I was so thrilled and humbled that God would choose someone like me, a girl who falls short of His glory daily, to share a story that He has written for me with others.

On Saturday night I had the privilege of sharing my story with OCC volunteers and was blessed with meeting people who have the desire to serve the Lord through this ministry. Also I must say the food that we ate that night was delicious. On Sunday morning I had an honor of sharing my testimony with a church who participates in collecting shoe boxes. Afterwards I enjoyed speaking to people and must say I loved also receiving hugs from them! Before you know it was evening time and I was getting physically tired. I prayed that the Lord would hide me once again behind the cross that He would receive all the glory, honor and praise as I speak to a different congregation about the Operation Christmas Child.

People were very receptive of the message and once again I was blessed beyond my imagination by speaking to men and women after the service. Because my husband and I worked with youth at our church, these groups of young people have a very special place in my heart. So you can only imaging how blessed one can be, when a teenager comes up to you and ask names of your parents so he can continue to pray for them. Yep, that was my blessing when a young man came up to me with his grandmother after the service and asked for my parents’ names.

Just when I thought I have spoken to everyone, I noticed a shy young man (high school age) standing waiting to speak to me. We shook hands and briefly spoke to each other. When the young man walked away, I was told that he probably could relate to my story because his mother suffers with alcoholism (where as in my family it is my dad) and the young man always prays for his mom. The moment I sat in the car, I was burdened for the young man, whose name I later found out is Mark.

Perhaps because I know that as a teenager it is unbelievably hard to carry this burden what feels like alone. But it is unbelievably comforting to know that God promises in His word that, “My burden is light and my yoke is easy” (Matt 11:30). And the truth is that it doesn’t get easier as an adult to watch your parent suffer with substance abuse. But I continuously have to remind myself of God’s promises that He has given us in His Word.

God is faithful in hearing our cries and as soon as I had the opportunity to speak to my husband, I shared with him about Mark and asked Daniel to pray for him and his mom. Today I would like to ask you to pray for Mark’s peace and his mom’s alcoholism recovery.

How can we pray for you today?


"It was about this time that King Herod arrested some who belonged to the church, intending to persecute them. He had James, the brother of John, put to death with the sword. When he saw that this pleased Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also. This happened during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. After arresting him, he put him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four solders each (that’s 16 soldiers for one person…crazy!!!! ~my comment). Herod intended to bring him out for public trial after the Passover. So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him". Acts 12:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment