Thursday, May 13, 2010

Send Me, I'll Go...


Shortly after my trip to Kenya, I was on my way to work (internship). Because I always parked 15 minutes away from work (not by choice), I would bring my ipod to make my hot and humid walk survivable. As I was humming to the tune of the song that was blasting in my ear, I felt that God was trying to get my attention. My heart began to race as the Lord began to call me on a mission trip back to Kenya. I started to gasp for air, as if I was having a panic attack and the calling was stronger and stronger for me to go after graduation to Africa.

“God, I don’t think I am ready. Ok, so I wanted to go back to Kenya, but not that soon. Plus, I really didn’t like eating goat meat, so how am I going to survive several weeks with no good food. Oh, yeah, showers… I am sure on a mission trip I will not have that luxury so what am I going to do? I really think you picked the wrong person for this task”, I told God quietly and continued to walk. At that moment, I was a mirrored image of Moses who gave lots of excuses for why he was not qualified for the job that God called him to do. But God’s reassured promise to always be with me was a gentle push to step out on faith and trust that God indeed hand picked me to go to Kenya. I love what Judges 6:16 says, “Surely I will be with you”

Feeling God’s presence made the rest of my walk to work enjoyable. I couldn’t help but smile and evidently it was very noticeable. As I passed by my co-workers, they asked me why I was glowing. “Because I am going to Africa”, I said without hesitation. Now I just had to figure out how I was going to get there. When I came home I started to look on internet for a Christian organization that would go on a mission trip to Africa during the summer time. I wanted to go for more than just 1 or 2 weeks, so my search began. Most organizations that I came in contact would travel to African countries for only 1 week. I began to give up hope until I came across AIM (Adventures in Missions). I found out that the organization is sending a group of young adults to Kenya for 4 weeks shortly after I would graduate from college. My application was complete and submitted within an hour. I now had to wait for AIM worker to conduct a phone interview after which I would find out if I would be going to Kenya.

It wasn’t too long after my application submission that I received a phone call for an interview. I shared my story about how God changed my desires and is calling for me to go on a mission trip to African countries. We prayed about it over the phone and before we hung up I was told that I was accepted and now just needed to send $100 to secure my spot. After I hung up the phone I wondered where in the world I am going to get $100 in two weeks to send for a deposit. I began to feel anxious despite the fact that the Word of God teaches us in Phil 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” It was almost bed time and I went to my bathroom to get ready. “God, I don’t know how I am going to afford this trip. I don’t even have $100 to send for a deposit”, I said with the sigh. As I opened the cabinet in my bathroom to put all the toiletries away, I jumped. There was two $20 dollars bills lying folded in the corner of the cabinet. How the money got there, I still do not know to this day. But what I do know is that God reassured me that day that He is my ultimate provider and that He will take care of my expenses for this trip.

To be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment