Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Send Me, I'll Go...



As I wrote monthly checks to World Vision, God has faithfully provided for me every time I had a need. I love what Luke 12:29-30 says, “And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things”. Seriously, I can tell you story after story on how God blessed and provided for me in some unexpected ways. Please know that when God calls you to do something, He has already provided you with all the means to do it. My God continued to develop my passion towards people in Africa. Many times on Saturday morning I would watch infomercials about sponsoring a child and tears uncontrollably would run down my face. I couldn’t believe that it was possible for people to live in such poverty. God has also begun to speak to me through His Word in Isaiah 61:1-3.

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to
Those who are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,
To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness
The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified”.

While I wrote in my Bible that I feel God is telling me to share the good news in Africa, I wasn’t sure how I was going to go there. I envisioned one day traveling to Mozambique to visit my little boy that I sponsored but I knew that I couldn’t afford that trip any time soon. However, God’s plan was different from mine. He opened the door for me to travel to Kenya instead through a class that I took at USC my junior year. In fact, I was able to qualify for a scholarship that partially covered the cost of my trip. And God provided money for the rest of the trip through student loans. I was so excited to have a chance to walk the streets of Kenya yet I have to admit I was a little nervous about the trip and what my eyes would see.



My nervousness continued as I boarded the plane with about ten other students from my college. I am not a big fan of flying so seating for 16 hours on the plane was definitely not fun. Finally we arrived to Nairobi, capital of Kenya and I was confused. I thought that we must have taken the wrong plane, because this town looked like down town Charlotte, NC and not the place surrounded by poverty that I have seen on TV. My teacher confirmed that we were in Kenya. To be honest with you, I was a little disappointed in what I saw around me that day. However, during the next two week I was able to have a glance of real poverty as I saw from afar Africa’s largest slum. I witnessed disparity when two young boys stole my classmate’s purse. But my heart was broken when young children begged for money and food as we drove through the down town Nairobi. Before the trip was over, the Lord has soften my heart and I knew that one day I would like to visit Kenya again.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment